Thursday, September 15, 2016

How to Kick Homesickness


I'm sure I wrote this post last year at the beginning of my freshman year, but it doesn't hurt to share an update on my feelings. I've been in Texas for the past five weeks and have battled overwhelming homesickness. I'm lucky to live in a modern age where FaceTime and texting reigns supreme, but every once in a while, I give in to my lack of comfort in a different place. I could either sit in my room all day and mope about my sadness (which I do sometimes) or use these tips to kick my homesickness in the ass and be present in where I am.

  1. Get out and get involved. Meeting new people and stepping out of my comfort zone is my biggest nightmare, but sometimes I have to do it. Last year I was in marching band and it was the best place for me to meet people since Greek life is not my thing. However, this year I decided to quit band and do something new! I have since gotten involved in the athletic department where I work for the communications office and athletic development. Working every day has kept me occupied and has also been a great way to meet new people. One of the best parts about working is that I'm able to work at athletic events! I'm always exhausted when I get home at the end of the day, but keeping myself busy has been amazing.
  2. FaceTime your mom (and your dad, sibling, grandparents, etc). Sometimes it's difficult to find the time to talk to my family, but I make sure that we speak every day. FaceTime is an incredible invention and everyone should take advantage of it! Even being able to see my pets face-to-face via iPhone makes me feel less sad.
  3. Eat foods that you would eat at home. SPAM is always available across the nation and I keep a few cans in my kitchen cabinet. I love to throw it in saimin for a cheap and easy dinner or in eggs for breakfast. I'm also lucky that my mom sends me a good number of Mauna Loa macadamia nut boxes every few weeks!
  4. Create a homesick playlist. Mine consists of Kealiʻi Reichel, Henry Kapono, and Kuana Torres Kahele (plus uncle Robert Cazimero, Kalapana, Braddah Iz and HAPA). Listening to "Drop Baby Drop" or "Kuʻu Lei Awapuhi" while I'm walking to class soothes my soul and makes me excited to start my day.
Just remember, home will always be home. Even though I'm away at school, I know I'll be home in just a few months! Keep pressing on!

1 comment:

  1. Sidenote: SPAM should not be consumed raw, as it is spongy and clammy :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments and for reading!

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme