Tuesday, September 20, 2016

My Qualm with High Fashion


Growing up, I always imagined what it would be like to see my own designs on the runway at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. In present day, NYFW is no longer at Bryant Park and my heart doesn't belong with stick thin models and A-list celebrities. The fashion I used to love was about classic beauty and feminine minimalism. Coco Chanel was a true designer who understood what women wanted to wear. Nowadays, designers like Jeremy Scott and Marc Jacobs run the week with obnoxious designs that no regular woman would wear (alliteration not intended). Fashion is no longer about enhancing a woman's natural beauty, but rather clouded by obnoxious patterns, outlandish makeup and unflattering shapes. Models aren't chosen because of their kind spirits or diverse shapes; they're hand selected based on their last name (i.e.: Kendall, Gigi, Bella) or how many Instagram followers they have. Every woman walking down the runway has the same look and any other shape is completely ignored. While having an Ashley Graham is important, I'm looking for models of all shapes, sizes and skin tones. The fashion world has ultimately evolved in two directions- classic and modern. While I'm not afraid of new trends and ideas, I believe in natural enhancement, not what designers are showcasing on today's runways. Maybe one day a new Coco will arise and the creation of beautiful pieces modeled by powerful women will call me back home to Bryant Park.

1 comment:

  1. Okay but why does the picture in the bottom right corner look like the logo from the show "Zoom" that was on PBS???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments and for reading!

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme