Thursday, November 3, 2016

Easy Weekday Orzo


When I was a preschool-aged toddler, I used to wake up at 7 am on Saturday mornings and watch the Food Network. Some of my earliest food memories are the times I drooled over Ina Garten's roast chicken and flourless chocolate cakes or Giada de Laurentiis' spaghetti bolognese. Because of my fascination with gourmet foods, I often volunteered to help my dad in the kitchen. He taught me basic knife skills, the importance of incorporating a roux to my dishes, why yakisoba is the best throw-together meal and how to deglaze pans with alcohol. As I've been living off campus without a meal plan this year, my cooking skills have been put to the test. I'm by no means an Ina, Giada or Lance, but I've put together a few delicious dishes that I love! My breakfast special is a pesto bagel sandwich (so easy, so delicious...blog post coming soon) and I could eat my Yoshida sauce chicken for dinner at least twice a week without growing tired of it. However, I've recently been craving orzo and thought I would add some of my favorite ingredients to make it a one-pot dish. This recipe only took me 30 minutes including prep so it's the perfect weeknight dish. I found the recipe on Pinterest but all credit goes to the Laughing Spatula- full recipe found here.

Ingredients:

6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
olive oil (to taste)
butter (to taste)
sliced mushrooms
garlic (to taste)
one box of orzo pasta (roughly one lb)
3 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
three handfuls of spinach
salt and pepper (to taste)
parmesan cheese

How To:

Cut chicken thighs in bite-size chunks
Heat olive oil and butter in pan on medium-high heat
Toss chicken in pan and coat with salt and pepper
Once chicken is 75% cooked, remove from heat and add to a plate or bowl
Place mushrooms in pan and sauté until tender
Once mushrooms are cooked, add garlic, spinach and orzo and sauté on medium heat for a 3 mins
Pour cream and chicken stock in the mixture
Place chicken pieces in the orzo
Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20 mins
Add more salt and pepper as well as parmesan cheese to taste

1 comment:

  1. Please cook for me occasionally because I am always napping :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments and for reading!

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme