Monday, January 30, 2017

Noelle Reads | January 2017


Although I binge watch Gilmore Girls (I hate Rory) and scour the 'New Releases' sections of Net-a-porter and Revolve during my free time, I'm trying to convince myself to read more. As an English major, you would think that books were my second home. Unfortunately I'm not my sister and my bookshelves aren't brimming with American classics, Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, Jonathan Franzen, etc. I prefer Jonathan Safran Foer, Claudia Rankine, Bryan Stephenson, football guides and as much poetry as I can find. I adore Bukowski's words, Clint Smith's appeal to soft hearts, Whitman's ability to take me on a journey and Lynn Gentry's mirroring of society. I want to cry, I want to be inspired, I want to be reminded of what it means to be a human. I want to find solace and peace in the writings of these authors. "What the What" is a novel by Dave Eggers exploring the life of 'lost boy' and refugee Valentino Achak Deng. "Into Each Room We Enter without Knowing" is Charif Shanahan's collection of poetry navigating the complex struggles of a mixed-race queer person. "No Matter the Wreckage" is lyrical maestro Sarah Kay's poetry from the early stages of her life. "The Racial Imaginary: Writers on Race in the Life of the Mind" is Claudia Rankine's open discussion between authors on the conflicts of race. I want to learn, grow and refresh my soul through these stories. Author Teju Cole commented on the importance of writing when he said, "Writing as writing. Writing as rioting. Writing as righting. On the best days, all three."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments and for reading!

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme