Sunday, February 5, 2017

Super Bowl 51 Recap


Damn I hate the Patriots. I'm sure I repeated that phrase 527 times tonight from the moment Tom Brady's face appeared on my tv till the final touchdown was called. In case you can't tell, I was rooting for the Falcons because I love Julio Jones and am passionately against anything involving Brady or Belichick. Super Bowl 51 was off to a great start for anyone who's not a Pats fan as Falcons QB Matt Ryan completed pass after pass. Ryan was 17 of 23 for 284 yards and 2 TDs. The Falcons scored on nearly every possession in the 2nd Quarter including an incredible pick by CB Robert Alford returned for an 82-yard score. Atlanta scored their last TD in the 3rd to lead the Pats 28-3. Although he didn't record any TDs, WR Julio Jones had two of the most insane catches I've ever seen. Witness the greatness:


If you're unfamiliar with the difference between a "catch" in the NFL vs. CFB, NFL players are required to put both feet on the ground inbounds while maintaining control over the ball. In the CFB, receivers must only have one foot on the ground. Jones somehow managed to leap over New England's Eric Rowe, grab the ball and touch both feet inbounds. He's a hero.

While I was cocky enough to tweet "RIP PATS (clapping hand emojis)" during the 3rd Quarter, I would soon shove my own foot in my mouth. Of course, the Patriots in cahoots with Satan, scored 19 points in the 4th to tie the game (thanks Gostkowski, why do you have perfect feet). They also called the coin toss in overtime- the first overtime in Super Bowl history- and got the ball first. In the NFL, overtime rules are BS and unfair. Basically whoever wins the coin toss wins the game if you have a decent offense because whoever scores first wins the game. CFB's overtime rules are more fair because both teams have a chance to score and whoever is unable to answer loses the game. @ NFL why aren't you more like CFB. Anyway, the Pats scored the first TD in overtime (because of course they did...Satan I tell you) and won Super Bowl 51 for "the greatest comeback in history, blah blah blah". I'm a little petty and bitter after that 2015 Cotton Bowl deja vu. It's okay Falcons, at least you don't have to visit the White House this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments and for reading!

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme