Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Noelle Reads | June 2017


I didn't have much time to read in May as my focus was on passing my classes and finishing the tennis season. Fortunately, my American Lit class provided wisdom through the words of Toni Morrison, Zora Neale Hurston (favorite!!!), Adrienne Rich, and other poets, which broadened my horizons during a busy season. This month I'll spotlight these two books: "The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates" by Wes Moore and "Known and Strange Things" by Teju Cole. When I was at Barnes & Noble with Brandon and Parker, I immediately picked up Cole's anthology of pieces that I'd been interested in for months. The book features short stories, anecdotes, photographs, and experiences that Cole intertwines with politics, history, and race relations. His words are beautiful and haunting and I can't wait to dive in. As I headed toward the register, Brandon told me about Moore's book that focused on the lives of two different men with the same name. One becomes successful and wealthy while the other ends up in prison serving a life sentence for murder. As soon as I heard the summary, I grabbed the book and added it to my purchase. I'll be reading these in between studying and writing lab reports for my Chemistry class, which, thank the old gods and new, is over in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments and for reading!

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme