Friday, June 9, 2017

Rediscovering Manchester Orchestra




In my emo middle school days, I loaded my iPod nano with screamo, rock, and indie bands that spoke to my angsty spirit. Brand New, A Skylit Drive, Underoath, Sleeping at Last, Straylight Run, and Manchester Orchestra were (and some still are) my favorites. Manchester Orchestra in particular encapsulated my feelings toward the difficult junior high environment, so their albums were on constant repeat in my collection. Mean Everything to Nothing was my album of choice, launching at the beginning of my seventh grade year. "I Can Feel a Hot One" and "I've Got Friends" were my most beloved songs, but I've recently discovered a handful of old and new pieces that I've binge-listened to Spotify. "Sleeper 1972" was on their 2007 album entitled I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child. I love vocalist Andy Hull's hushed tone against the organ-like instrumentals. New release "The Gold" is the only song I've listened to for the past week and it reminded me of why I fell in love with the band in the first place. Their lyrics are passionate and brutal, sung either to hardcore backgrounds or acoustic accompaniments. "Choose You" is one of the edgier pieces from a 2013 release and it pumps me up every morning. Manchester Orchestra is a phenomenal group and I don't know why I ever stopped listening to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments and for reading!

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme